Tuesday, January 26, 2010

OCS

Jon reported to OCS (officer candidate school) on Sunday January 24th.

I have done a bunch of reading, Here is what I know about what he is going through so far.

Sunday they checked in, had to take apart their suitcase and only take with them the "essentials" (underwear, socks, etc.) they put these items in the a garbage bag and are shuttled to a building where they get there "poppy suit" It's a green jump suit that they wear for the first 4 days of OCS. While they are in line waiting for there "poopy suit" they are given instructions while in line. The last instruction is how to tie there shoelaces. Then all of a sudden other officers candidates rush in the room and start yelling and screaming at them to fix there shoelaces. As they are yelling, the lights are flickering on and off, and someone is pounding a drum. This last a few minutes. HOW SCARY! This only last a few minutes, and after that they are given there suits and then go through more instruction.

Day two (Monday) they get there hair cut, or head shaving! They also go through more medical screening.
Day 3 (Tuesday) they have to pass there physical test to continue on. If they don't pass they are put in holding until they can pass. Jon has passed this test twice in Nashville, so I'm sure he did fine!
Day 4 (Wednesday) is supposedly a very hard day. It is the day they meet there drill instructor. The drill instructor wakes them up at 4:30 am and the yelling begins. They do a very hard workout (usually outside) I really hope they don't make Jon go outside in January in Rhode Island. BURRRR! Then from what I understand then, later that day, they get fitted for there uniforms.
Day 5 (Thursday) is the hardest day called outpost. I really don't understand what is done here. But from what I read it is the hardest day of the 1st week.

Thats pretty much all I know about the first week. I'm so proud of Jon for doing this! He is going to do great. I was so nervous for him to leave. I really was afraid of people yelling at him. He always told me he wouldn't mind it, because he knew it was a mind game. He is a lot stronger them me. I would crumble under that pressure. But he wants this very badly!

Please keep Jon in your prayers!

I hope April comes fast!



6 comments:

Mary and Jordan said...

whoa all that stuff sounds crazy. do you get to talk to him everyday?? he is def in our prayers. and so are you and jonathan!! we love you!

Meg said...

That is crazy. I am sure Jon is prepared for all this though. I'll remember you guys in my prayers!

Liz said...

I've been reading more on that website and it is all pretty crazy! I feel bad for Jon having to go through all of that, but hopefully in the end it will all be worth it. Personally, I think it is kind of dumb how they treat them and all of the stuff they make them do, but I suppose there is some rationale behind it- I just don't agree with it. And I could definitely never do that myself!!

Cecilia Bullough said...

Thoughts from an old Navy widow:
The crazy stuff is a weeding out process. Only those who REALLY want to be a naval officer will put up with the crazy stuff. I'm think the crazy stuff is over the top, but there is truth to the fact that those in leadership positions have to be able to lead under the most dire circumstances like long separation from family, long hours on duty even engagement with an enemy. Jon will be well prepared after this training and I will be very happy for him when it is over.

megan&steve said...

I ran across your blog from my cousin Jessie Millers, and my husband completed OCS in Fort Benning in December. Those 12 weeks were so slllooowwww for me and the kids. If you have any questions, email me! Gemdancer0@msn.com

Janelle said...

Wow, I'm with you, I couldn't handle it! :) Good for Jon, though, I'm sure he'll do awesome!