Saturday December 10, 2011 was a very special day. We welcomed home Jon from his 7 month deployment overseas! The ship was scheduled to get in at 9am. We arrived at the pier a little before 8am. It was a cold day. Especially at the pier, the wind was blowing and it was probably in the 30's. It was so cold. The FRG had a nice big heated tent for everyone to hang out in. Of course it was packed! But we squeezed our way into it until the ship started pulling in around the cornor! Then, since I was a 'new mom' we were allowed to be with the VIP group and meet the ship first! So us along with the other new moms and the other VIP wives were allowed on the pier first. So we were up there watching the ship pull in and "park". It was so neat to see all the sailors line the edge of the ship. The excitement was definitely in the air! Once they "parked" we were looking to see if we could see Jon. All the sailors look alike at this point. I kept thinking that I had found him, then realized that it wasn't him. I later asked where Jon was, and he was in the bridge (the pilot house, where they drive the ship. So he wasn't even outside).
Once they parked, and the Admiral walked on to greet them and gave a short welcome home speech. The first kiss sailor walked off the ship to meet his wife and gave her a big kiss. (the 'first kiss' is a raffle they do on the ship and at home, were you can buy a raffle ticket and the sailor that gets drawn is the first person off the ship (even before the Captain) and gets to give the first kiss! It was really cute. The wife popped her leg and everything! So after the first kiss they let the new dads off the ship. This is when I got really excited!!! I was looking and looking for Jon. I didn't/couldn't see him. Of course he was the last new dad off the ship. My mom spotted him first. She had to point him out to me. At that point I was not waiting for him to come to me, I was going to go to him! It was a great reunion. I wasn't emotional until I actually hugged him.
It was so great to see him, see Jonathan. Jonathan warmed up to him right away! He kind of took a minute to realize that it really was daddy! But after that they were unseparatable ! Then I lead Jon over to the stroller to meet Cooper. He was all bundled up in his car seat. I didn't take him out of the stroller on the pier. It was way too cold! Then Jon came over and hugged his mom, grandma, my mom and dad and Jenney. It still didn't seem real that he was home! I had to keep hugging him to make sure he was really there!
Here are some pictures from our homecoming!


6 comments:
Great post! Love all of the pictures! Welcome home, Jon!
SO exciting! I hope you guys have the best Christmas all together!
Yea! So happy for you to have the family all home! You are an incredible lady for making it through that pregnancy and birth without a husband and a toddler, you rock! Have a merry Christmas!
Yeah! Such a CUTE family! Glad you get to be together for Christmas! and you look great by the way~
Hooray! Welcome home Jon!!!
So glad for your family to be together again! What a great post, and all the pictures are priceless! Hope you have the best Christmas, being all together! Looking forward to seeing your family Ü
Post a Comment